Cosmetic Dentures Savannah
You've probably seen a lot of ads for denture adhesive. These companies are making money hand-over fist from dissatisfied denture wearers. Why?
Simple: most dentures do not fit well enough for everyday comfort. Even with denture adhesive, they slip out of place when talking or eating.
This may be because:
- Many dentures that are not precisely fitted can wear out quickly
- Some dentures fit poorly from the beginning
- Changes in your mouth due to traditional dentures can lead to a poor fit over time
...As well as many other reasons.
Few denture wearers like their dentures, because traditional dentures, even when made by a dentist who makes a fair number of dentures, are poor substitutes for our own, real teeth. Another tooth replacement option is dental implants which can be used instead dentures, or can be used to further stabilize a neuromuscular, cosmetic denture. If you're ready to schedule an appointment to learn more about how dentures can help you, contact us today!
Types of Dentures
Dentures available today are generally one of 3 types:
- Economy Dentures - Economy dentures are designed to be inexpensive, sacrificing both fit and appearance for a lower cost. Because they are not highly customized and can be completed quickly, they are often sold as "dentures in a day." Some of our patients have even joked that these only come in small, medium, and large, which would account for their often very poor fit.
- Traditional Dentures - Traditional dentures are the most commonly used denture by general dentists. They typically fit okay and look okay, but they often lack in the functional department. Not only can they slip and click during talking and eating, but they do not stimulate the jawbone like natural teeth, resulting in loss of bone mass. Perhaps most bothersome to patients is that the stability in eating prevents them from enjoying their favorite foods like steak, apples, or corn on the cobb.
- Neuromuscular, Cosmetic Dentures - This is the only type of denture we feel comfortable offering to our patients. Although they are more expensive, the superior fit, function, and aesthetics are worth the additional cost. The results may even make people think that you've had a facelift!
(the "fountain of youth" for denture wearers)
Neuromuscular dentistry utilizes a superior understanding of the interaction between muscles, bones, and teeth to create dental restorations that enhance the function of your jaw. For dentures, this allows us to improve the fit and appearance of dentures. Because the fit of dentures depends partly on muscle action, achieving stable and relaxed muscles automatically results in a better fit.
The position for best muscle function also coincides with the position of maximum facial support. Dentures that fit this way also restore a youthful facial proportion and appearance.
You have probably seen a person's face collapse or "sink in" when they remove their dentures. That's because their face no longer has the support of teeth or dentures to maintain its proper proportion. And if dentures aren't made to the optimum dimensions, they may still have a "sunken in" appearance even when wearing their dentures.
However, if a dentist takes the time to utilize neuromuscular dentistry to find the proper size of dentures, a more youthful appearance can be restored at the same time that dentures are made more comfortable and functional, too.
With the help of neuromuscular dentures, our patients sometimes look 20 years younger. Not only that, they found they could eat more of the foods they enjoyed. The process of making neuromuscular dentures does take longer, and it is more expensive, but the functional, aesthetic, and comfort benefits mean that most patients consider them a good investment.
Many dentists are giving up entirely on making dentures because they lack the science, dedication, and patience to make them right. They find the results of their process are so unpredictable and they end up with many dissatisfied patients. Patients who try economy dentures often end up with a large number of ill-fitting dentures, and an equally large stock of denture adhesives, as they try, vainly, to get a comfortable fit. Economy dentures are bad for both patients and dentists, and that's why we only make neuromuscular dentures, which we know can be made to fit properly and deliver facelift-quality appearance benefits.
Dental Implants and DenturesImplants are not a new technique, but have improved greatly in recent memory. The procedure involves surgically placing a fixture in the jaw (bone) to which teeth are attached. If you have the correct available structure, and place enough implants, it is possible to eliminate dentures completely (by replacing them with the new teeth which are attached to the implants).
If you want solid/nonremovable teeth again, then implants are the best option.
If you've been told that you can't have dental implants because you don't have enough bone, then check out our Mini-Implants. These offer a GREAT alternative to traditional dental implants for denture wearers.
For more information about the benefits of neuromuscular, cosmetic dentures, please contact us today for an appointment at our Savannah, Georgia office.
Find Dr. Durham on Google+